So, yes. I’m still on the pumpkin. But these were a special request from one of my sisters-from-another-mother. I had the privilege of throwing her a baby shower this past weekend, and I knew that these would be the perfect addition to the party.
Original recipe is here: http://www.lemontreedwelling.com/2013/09/salted-caramel-pumpkin-muffins.html
What You Need
2 cups sugar
1 cups brown sugar
¾ cups veggie oil
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp allspice
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp ginger
1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
3 ½ cups flour
1/3 cup water
- Beat together the sugars and oil in a large mixing bowl until well blended.
- Mix in the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices until well combined.
- Add the pumpkin and eggs and mix thoroughly
- Stir in the flour and water
- Divide batter evenly among 24 regular sized muffin tins, greased or lined with paper liners. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool muffins and top with salted caramel glaze
Salted Caramel Glaze
4 tbsp (1/2 stick) butter, cut into chunks
½ cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup fat free half and half
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
- Melt together the butter, brown sugar, half & half and vanilla extract in a medium saucepan.
- Over medium heat, stir until mixture comes to a full boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Let stand 2-3 minutes and cool slightly. Gradually add powdered sugar and stir until mixture is thickened, but still pourable.
- Pour over muffins to glaze. Top with sea salt.
What I Did
I had all the ingredients for the muffins, but I was short on half and half. I looked up good substitutions on the good old interwebs, and improvised. Light soymilk and a little extra butter work just fine in place of the half and half, thank you very much! I don’t know that anyone would have been able to tell the difference.
Pumpkin and salted caramel combined are the makings of something truly wonderful! They truly are all the wonderful parts of fall wrapped up into one tasty little package. These taste exactly like you think they would taste, no lie!
If you ignore all other pumpkin recipes this fall, this is definitely one that you need to try!
Until Next Time,
Peace, Love, and Cupcakes